Sunday, July 13, 2014

Sex vs Intimacy

TMI? Maybe, but I don't see much validity in puritanical avoidance of or discomfort towards the whole subject.

Contrary to what media socialization would have me believe, I don't miss sex. Or at least sex is not the thing I miss about being in a relationship. 

I miss the intimacy: Being okay with vulnerability because someone else has you in their arms, sleeping with someone in the most literal and uncomplicated sense without any "strings attached", talking to someone while inches away, eye contact, hand squeezing, and the feeling of someone smiling with their head on your shoulder... Maybe a part of my baggage from past relationships was losing sight of that, but for the first time in a long time I feel like I've been getting it back. And it does hurt sometimes to recognize that longing resurfacing but not nearly as much as it thrills me to be doing so much better.

For clarification, I don't see sex and intimacy as diametrically opposed because that would either be ridiculous or terribly cynical. I just think (meaning "had the thought just now and will probably focus/clarify in my own mind as I think more about it") that maybe a big part of the Law of Chastity is so that we short-sighted mortal beings will have time and experiences to discover genuine, love-based intimacy which will then make every aspect, yes including sex, that much more meaningful, enriching, and even sustaining. Just thinking...

No comments:

Post a Comment