Sunday, July 6, 2014

Death for my birthday

A) an excellent song by Say Anything about taking life for granted while we have it. Definitely worth a listen.
B) not my birthday "wish" but pondering mortality is, I feel, a natural consequence of contemplating one's life
C) I don't know when I will go or how, but if I had my druthers I'd opt for the "simultaneous passing with my wife in arm at a ripe, old age with great-grandchildren" because why wouldn't I?
D) I like the idea of a three-part funeral: first  the actual funeral, LDS style. Then the service in the back of the Delta Upsilon cornerstone, because I think it's beautiful. And finally a big old party with stupid stories and food and jokes and all that nonsense... Or being implanted into a cyborg with super powers, but barring science fiction of that magnitude being made available to someone with no plans for monumental wealth I will content myself with the already lofty idea mentioned previously.

All that aside, life is pretty excellent at the moment. I'm budgeting rather well (which is an accomplishment brought about by the constant reminder of needing to buy a car and wanting to be able to drive up to Logan again soon). Food is great and I'm able to eat it with incredible ease unlike far too many people in the world. I was able to realize that the "This is what a feminist looks like" sticker on my bag is more than just a conversation-starter & chance to engage in meaningful conversations; it's a reminder to myself to actually live up to what I want to be. And it's my birthday, which means I've survived quite a few revolutions around the sun thus far, which is nice (despite all the problems going on around the world and inside my own head).

Maybe most of all, I am incredibly blessed with the ability to think and to - on occasion - express those thoughts. I am able to feel and recognize pain in myself and others, empathize, fall in love, write, stub my toes, kiss, embrace, bleed, cry, read, and watch internet videos for hours. All of those things, even the crappy ones, are astonishing. Stuff may not always go well, and at times go horribly wrong, but in the overall expansive landscape of eternal progression all of it is beautiful. Even if I completely disagree with what I just said at the moment said crappy stuff is happening.

Happy birthday, self! Here's a reminder of your former bearded glory :)


No comments:

Post a Comment