What's keeping me up:
- Emma Watson's absolutely brilliant UN address announcing the HeForShe campaign. Seriously, if you haven't seen it, you should check it out before reading whatever nonsense I'm about to ramble off: http://youtu.be/-yopcw45WMw
- Metacognition (and thinking about metacognition, which is an Inception-esque rabbit hole in and of itself)
- I don't know if I believe in a capitol-T "The One" but rather maybe multiple "ones" corresponding with different points in life - each with their own inherent likelihood of producing varying degrees of lasting happiness/contentment. I don't know how my history of "ones" breaks down on the spectrum of just-befriended to broke-up-with to give-it-time, but I'm grateful for extenuating circumstances putting me places and what I've learned from all of the relationships of which I've been a part: platonic, failed, or otherwise... And maybe this would make more sense if it wasn't 6 in the morning, but if you're reading this then you already should have read the stream-of-consciousness warning :)
- And finally, I really have no idea how dating works in LDS culture - ESPECIALLY Provo culture (not that I have any interest in conforming to that particular batch of norms). Out of all the girls I've dated, none have ever been LDS... Some sort of mix between never really having any LDS people around to date once I started dating & not being the kind of person an LDS girl would probably want to date for a while. Either way, it's particularly odd in Provo because there seems to be all this stress of only dating someone to whom you will (or at least very likely could) end up engaged. Not that I'm a fan of break ups or that I haven't already had enough of them... Maybe I'll just draw this out at some point.
I kinda lost track of that particular cognitive train, but I guess the cliffnotes version is as follows: I'd be totally cool with the next person I date being the (lowercase) one beside whom I tiptoe into eternity, but I'd like the relationship to be free of all the pressure of Provo's dating pipeline subculture.
And now that I'm hopefully going to sleep soon, here's something completely different! This picture encapsulates how I feel the entire #NotAllMen reaction to the #YesAllWomen thing a little while back. It's funnier if you've seen Game of Thrones (and if you haven't I'd love to watch it with you and have long, intellectual conversations about the societal correlations & non-traditional means of character development). Stay nerdy, my friends.

No comments:
Post a Comment